Support staff workplace responsibilities - Powerpoint presentation
Scenario 5 – Carl
Carl - a supervisor at Kattana Industries
Rani - the manager at Kattana Industries
Sarah - a supported employee at Kattana Industries
Jonathon - a co-worker of Sarah's
Dave - a co-worker of Carl's
Carl is a supervisor at a small business service, Kattana Industries. Sarah, a supported employee with an intellectual disability, works directly for Carl.
The manager at Kattana is Rani. Rani has been worried for some time that Carl and Sarah are too close. There's been nothing specific, but Rani has noticed them sitting very close in the lunch room and they appear to have a number of private conversations.
This morning, one of Sarah's co-workers, Jonathon, has come to see Rani.
[Jonathon]: I don't think it's fair.
[Rani]: What's not fair, Jonathon?
[Jonathon]: Aw, you're just taking their side too.
[Rani]: Sorry, Jonathon, taking whose side?
[Jonathon]: Well, I don't think it's fair that Sarah gets to go into town with Carl just because she's his girlfriend. I wanted to go into town too.
[Rani]: What do you mean Sarah is Carl's girlfriend?
[Jonathon – sounding a bit sheepish]: Everybody knows about them. They go to the movies together.
Rani is now very concerned about what she has heard. Before speaking to Carl, she decides to ask around some of the other supervisors to see what they know.
[Rani]: Dave, have you heard any rumours about Carl and Sarah?
[Dave]: You mean that they are having a relationship? Yeah, I heard it but I don't believe it. Carl is a top bloke.
[Rani]: But Dave, why on earth didn't you say anything to me about this?
[Dave]: Because I knew you'd blow it out of all proportion. Look, it's just lunch room gossip. There's no way Carl would do anything like that.
[Rani]: Carl, I have to ask you something and I need an honest answer from you.
[Carl – sounding light-hearted]: Gee, this sounds a bit serious. Did I forget to buy the milk again?
[Rani]: I'd rather you didn't joke Carl. Can you please tell me the nature of your relationship with Sarah?
[Carl – getting angry]: What? What are you accusing me of? What have people been saying?
[Rani]: Calm down please, Carl.
[Carl]: Don't tell me to calm down. You can get stuffed!
After Carl has stormed out of Rani's office, she contemplates her next step for a few minutes. She decides to go and talk to Carl again and try and get his side of the story. Initially she can't find him. Then she notices him out in the garden, talking to Sarah.
- What do you think will happen next?
- How did the situation get this serious?
- What are the key issues here?
- Have you faced this situation or a similar one? What did you do?
- Which Disability Services Standards does this scenario relate to?
- What are your organisation’s policies and procedures in relation to this kind of scenario?
- Are there policies and procedures in your organisation that you need to revise or update as a result of examining this scenario?
- Are there legal or other issues that relate to this scenario? What are they? Is there any legislation you should be aware of that relates to this scenario?
- What implications does this situation have for:
- other supervisors
- How would you manage this situation if you were in Rani's role?
- How did you feel about us discussing this topic?
- What did you learn?
- How will you apply what you have learned?