Skip to content

Table of contents | PDF Library

When I'm at work: stopping abuse - Powerpoint presentation

What are your human rights?

What is abuse?

…when another person harms or hurts you in some way …

Physical abuse

Physical abuse is when someone hurts you by touching you, for example, by:

Emotional abuse

Emotional abuse is when someone hurts your feelings or makes you upset. It can include:

Sexual abuse

Sexual abuse includes being:

Chemical abuse

Chemical abuse includes being forced to take medication (tablets or injections),or illegal drugs, when you do not want to.

Financial abuse

Examples of financial abuse include other people taking your:

Verbal abuse

Verbal abuse includes someone saying things about you that are not true.

It could also be someone saying nasty things about what you say or do.

Civil or legal abuse

Civil or legal abuse includes not being allowed to:

Abuse in the workplace

You could be abused by:

Workplace abuse can be:

What can you do about abuse?

Reporting abuse outside work

Tell a family member, support worker, friend, member of your church, or the police.

Remember to tell:

What can you expect to happen?

When you report abuse, people you tell should:

What if nothing changes?

If you tell someone but they do not do anything about it, do not give up.

Tell someone else.

Reporting abuse at work

Your workplace must protect you from abuse.

The Disability Services Standards make that clear.

Disability Services Standard 12

Disability Services Standard 12 is about the protection of human rights.

When you are at work, your workplace must:

Nobody should:

Your workplace's complaints policy

Other ways to make a complaint

Sometimes, the people you rely on for help can also be the people who abuse you.

Your workplace can give you details about how to contact an advocacy or complaints service.

People there can help you as well.

Remember your human rights!

It is really important to remember that abuse harms you in all sorts of ways, not just physically.

If someone who should be looking after you is not doing so, they are taking away your human rights and you should tell someone it is happening.

Who can help you stop the abuse?

If you are in danger, call the police on 000.

The fact sheet about stopping abuse has further contact details.

National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline

People at the Hotline can help you. They can also find someone else to talk about your problem for you.

The fact sheet about stopping abuse has full contact details.

Complaints Referral and Resolution Service (CRRS)

People at the CRRS can help you. What you tell them is confidential.

They will not tell anyone else what you say.

The fact sheet about stopping abuse has full contact details.

Return to top