Workplace Safety - Trainer's guide
Customising the presentation
To customise this presentation you will need the following equipment:
- PC or laptop with:
- Microsoft PowerPoint™ application
- CD drive
- digital camera (recommend minimum 2 Mega pixel).
The following steps will guide you through customising or changing the slide show presentation to best meet participant and organisation needs.
Note: Microsoft PowerPoint™ includes a help option on the toolbar and this can be used to provide additional help, ideas and support when customising the presentation.
Create a folder on your PC's C drive and name the folder Workplace Safety.
Copy all the files on the Workplace Safety CD into that folder. Next double click on Workplace safety.pps to view the presentation and gain an understanding of how you will customise it and how the photographs you will take will be used within the presentation.
The OH&S Officer or Human Resources personnel in your organisation may be able to help with the preparation of the presentation to ensure it complies with organisational procedures.
Prior to the training session meet with the organisation's OH&S representative to ensure you have a clear understanding of the relevant policies and procedures.
Read through the presentation notes (go to 'View' on the toolbar and click on 'Notes Page'). This will give you guidance in deciding what to photograph.
Save these images as jpeg, tif or gif files on to the C: drive in the same folder as the Workplace Safety.pps file that you are going to customise.
- Changing slide text. Click into the place holder under the title and overwrite the example text with your text. When writing text for a presentation:
- keep the points short – no more than four on a screen
- do not include minor issues or detail
- do not include topics covered in later slides
- keep the language simple
- minimise the number of words on the screen.
- Changing images, graphics and photos.
- Click on the image to be deleted and choose 'Edit', 'Delete'.
- Select an example image then select 'Insert', 'Picture', 'From File' and choose one of your photographs from the C: drive
- Repeat the process to insert images from your workplace.
- Adding or deleting slides. To add additional slides click on 'Insert' and then on either 'New Slide' or 'Duplicate Slide'. You may wish to delete slides that are not relevant to your presentation.
- Saving the presentation. Save the presentation with a file name that refiects either the group it was prepared for (eg workplace safety_kitchen) or when it was customised (eg workplace safety_october 2006).