Support staff workplace responsibilities - Powerpoint presentation
Scenario 10 – Phuong
Phuong – a supported employee at Tangent Business Service
Vicki – a supervisor at Tangent Business Service
Simon – another supported employee at Tangent Business Service
Phuong has been working as a supported employee at Tangent Business Service for the past two years. Phuong works in the same area as Simon, another supported employee. Their supervisor, Vicki, has noticed for a while that Simon and Phuong don't appear to get along very well.
[Vicki – calling out]: Come on, fellas – what's the rush?
[Phuong]: Watch it, mate. What do you think you're doing?
[Simon]: Hey, listen – I'm not your mate. Just get out of my way next time.
[Simon]: You know, you think he'd know when to back off – he's very SLOW … if you know what I mean …
[Small group – laughing]: Yeah, we know what you mean.
[Phuong]: Oh, come on -I need a seat. Can you move your bag please?
[Simon]: Sorry -I mentioned to Jan I would keep her a place, (sarcastically) SORRY MATE.
[Phuong]: Really, can't you move up one?
[Simon]: Sorry. Don't take it personally but can't you just find another seat? Why don't you sit next to someone more like you? Anyway, Vicki is watching you.
[Vicki]: Is everything alright? Everyone got a seat? Phuong, are you alright? What's the matter?
[Phuong]: Nothing. I'm just getting myself a spot.
[Simon]: Gee mate, you're so small you can squeeze in anywhere.
[Vicki]: Come on now, settle down.
[Vicki]: I want to talk to you two. It appears you have a few issues.
[Simon]: I reckon Phuong's got some issues but they're nothing to do with me. I'm just trying to do my job.
[Phuong]: What do you mean I have some issues?
[Simon]: Jeez, you're a bit touchy, mate.
[Phuong]: Don't you 'mate' me. Isn't that what you said?
[Vicki]: OK, fellas, cut it out.
[Simon]: Phuong, you're getting yourself all worked up over nothing again. Don't go getting your noodles in a twist (laughs).
- What do you think happened next between Phuong and Simon?
- What do you think Vicki will do?
- What would you have done in Vicki's place?
- What are the key issues here?
- Could a situation like this arise in your work area?
- Which Disability Services Standards does this scenario relate to?
- What are your organisation's policies and procedures in relation to this kind of scenario?
- Are there policies and procedures in your organisation that you need to revise or update as a result of examining this scenario?
- Are there legal or other issues that relate to this scenario? What are they? Is there any legislation you should be aware of that relates to this scenario?
- What are the issues for Phuong, Simon and Vicki?
- Is Vicki dealing with the harassment and bullying effectively?
- Would the issues be different if:
- Phuong, Vicki and Simon shared a common cultural background
- the supervisor was a male?
- How did you feel about us discussing this topic?
- What did you learn?
- How will you apply what you have learned?