When I'm at work: Using a computer - Learner's workbook
Sending and receiving email
- What is email?
- What is the Internet?
- Email addresses
- Opening Microsoft Outlook®
- Reading your emails
- Replying to an email
- Deleting an email
- Creating a new email
- Attaching files
Email stands for electronic mail and you can use email to:
- send messages to another person or a group of people
- receive messages from people
- attach documents, pictures or sounds to messages.
The Internet is a network of computers all over the world that allows you to access, download and send information through your computer.
The Internet is avilable 24 hours a day and the things you can do on the Internet include:
- email, using platforms such as Hotmail
- research information, using search engines such as Google or Yahoo
- online buying and selling, using places such as eBay or stores that are online
- online chatting, using facilities such as MSN or MySpace
- financial transactions, such as Internet banking
- access online libraries and encyclopaedias.
Email is one of the most used services on the Internet.
Every user needs their own individual email address.
Typical email addresses may look like:
|User name||This is the name or identity of the person sending the email||allyson||bwilliams|
|Domain name||This is the organisation that gets paid for you to use emails||bigpond||fahcsia|
|Organisation||Indicates the type of organisation or group, for example:
com – commercial organisation
net – local Internet service provider
edu – educational institution
gov – government body.
|Country||This is the country code, for example:
.au – Australia
.nz – New Zealand
.uk – United Kingdom
The only country that does not use a code is the United States. So their addresses end after .com
Open the email program used in your workplace.
Please note our example here is for Microsoft Outlook®.
- Click on the Start button.
- Choose email or Microsoft Outlook® from the menu.
- Your emails will now be on screen.
The areas at the top of the screen are called the Menus and Toolbar. From the menus and toolbar you can choose menu items and 'tools' to tell the computer what you want it to do with an email. Your supervisor or trainer will show you some of the menu items and 'tools' you can use.
|Inbox||This is where you receive your emails|
|Outbox||This is emails you are sending|
|Delete||This is where you delete your messages after you don't need them anymore – sometimes this is called the Recycle Bin|
|Forward||You can forward a message that you have received to another person|
|Attach Files||Sometimes you want to send more than just a message. Attaching allows you to add files, images, sounds and videos to the message to send|
|Sent Items||This is a list of emails you have sent.|
|1||New||Create a new email|
|2||Print this page|
|3||Move to folder||Move this email to a folder|
|4||Delete||Delete email and send to Recycle Bin|
|5||Reply||Reply to this email|
|6||Reply all||Reply to all people on this email|
|7||Forward||Forward this email to someone else|
|8||Send/Receive||Send/receive all emails in draft folder|
|10||Rule||Make a rule for email|
|11||Contact||You can type the name of someone you have sent an email to before and their email address will be on the screen|
|12||Help||Access the Help Menu|
The emails area shows the emails you have received. If the text is bold, this tells you that it is an email that you have not read yet.
- Click on the Inbox. You will now see a list of all of the emails that you have received.
- To read your emails click on each of the bolded entries one by one and read.
Read the emails in your Inbox that are bold.
After you have read an email you can send a reply to the person who sent you the message.
To reply to an email:
- With the email you received open, click on the Reply icon from the toolbar. On the table on page 43 this is number 5.
- On the screen will be an email with the address of the person you are sending the email to.
- Type your message.
- Click Send.
- The email will no longer be on your screen.
When you have finished with an email you can delete it.
To delete an email:
- Click on the Delete icon on the toolbar. This was number 4 in our table on page 43.
- Notice that the email is now gone from the list of emails in your Inbox.
Click on the email you wish to delete in your Inbox.
Click on the Delete key on the toolbar.
Your email is now in the Deleted Items folder.
To create a new email message:
- Open Microsoft Outlook®.
- Click on the New button . A blank message will be on your screen.
- Type in the address of the person you are sending the email to.
- Type in the subject of the email.
- Type in your message.
- Click on the Send button .
Create an email to your trainer or to another learner.
Type in a message and click send.
Sometimes you might need to attach a document, picture, or another type of file to your email. For example, you might need to send your supervisor an email telling them about a safety problem in your work area and you might need to attach a file such as a report.
To attach a file to an email:
- Open Microsoft Outlook®.
- Create a new email. Remember to fill out the address and the subject.
- Click on the Attach button .
- A dialog box will appear on your screen.
- Ask your trainer to help you choose an attachment for your email.
Tick the areas from this topic that you have successfully completed.